Friday, 1 September 2017

A confiding Little Stint

Although the suite of usual suspects have all been out to form the welcome home committee (by which I mean Asian Dowitcher Limnodromus semipalmatus, Ruff Calidris pugnax, Swinhoe's Snipe Gallinago megala, Little Stint Calidris minuta, Temminck's Stint Calidris temminckii, Red-necked Phalarope Phalaropus lobatus, and so on), none have let me especially close to them or, if they have done, have (seemingly deliberately) chosen to 'hog' areas of bad light. This has been true of all but one Little Stint, which conversely has been outrageously confiding over the last few days (as well as religiously favouring one particular patch of mud right at the roadside).


This bird has been so co-operative that I thought it might be worth having a go at filming it (though the resulting images are rather wobbly absent a tripod). I had read somewhere that Little Stint 'feeds' more quickly than does the similar Red-necked Stint Calidris ruficollis, though whether this relates to number of pecks or movements in general I have no idea.


The Tu Cheng area held at least eight Little Stints today (including one stunning yet distant juvenile). With my only woodlot completely overgrown at the moment, I worry I might be back there for more (and the next few blog posts might deteriorate into simply being pictures of this one confiding individual). Above photos taken at Tu Cheng, Tainan City 1/9/17.

No comments:

Post a Comment